Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More on color....

Once you have a starting point (a favorite color) start exploring what you actually have in your home with that color. Most likely you will have this color somewhere, maybe only in your closet, now is the time to think about how to add this to your decor. This will not be accomplished quickly. The best looking homes have been created over time, collecting things, inheriting items, receiving gifts, re purposing furniture and weeding out the items in your home that you just do not like.

Dining Room

The first thing I did when we moved into this home was to plan the paint palette. I only started with this because I knew my favorite colors, I have been collecting items for years and already had our major upholstered pieces. Paint is one of the least expensive items to purchase (especially if you do the painting) and gives the biggest design bang for the buck.

Half Bathroom

Kitchen

Mudroom

Den

Hall

Master Bedroom


Laundry Room

Living Room

Upstairs Bathroom

These are the paint colors I have used for our home. I know it looks like a lot, but because I have chosen aqua as the common thread throughout the home, the rooms flow together (they speak to each other).

Color - Creating a color chart for your home
  1. What is your favorite color (aqua)
  2. Now think about other colors you really like and would like to include into your home (apricot, apple green, red)
  3. Always add some black pieces (this grounds all the colors and gives a bit of sophistication)
  4. Decide on a finish choice (brass, silver, black, etc...)
  5. Plan on where you will use these colors (walls, upholstery, accessories, rugs, drapes, bedding, etc......) always keep in mind that your favorite color will be used in every room in different doses. 
Now you have your color chart

Please do not get too caught up in the color names. I love aqua, but sometimes it turns into turquoise. Apricot can turn into orange and apple green can become moss (den walls).

Also notice I have a couple of rooms painted yellow. Yellow is not on my list of favorite colors, but when looking at all the colors of items going into the room, the yellow worked really well.

I love the color red, but decided to use it as an accent color, not a wall color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Top Sites