The first thing I did when we moved into this home was to plan the paint palette. I only started with this because I knew my favorite colors, I have been collecting items for years and already had our major upholstered pieces. Paint is one of the least expensive items to purchase (especially if you do the painting) and gives the biggest design bang for the buck.
These are the paint colors I have used for our home. I know it looks like a lot, but because I have chosen aqua as the common thread throughout the home, the rooms flow together (they speak to each other).
Color - Creating a color chart for your home
- What is your favorite color (aqua)
- Now think about other colors you really like and would like to include into your home (apricot, apple green, red)
- Always add some black pieces (this grounds all the colors and gives a bit of sophistication)
- Decide on a finish choice (brass, silver, black, etc...)
- Plan on where you will use these colors (walls, upholstery, accessories, rugs, drapes, bedding, etc......) always keep in mind that your favorite color will be used in every room in different doses.
Please do not get too caught up in the color names. I love aqua, but sometimes it turns into turquoise. Apricot can turn into orange and apple green can become moss (den walls).
Also notice I have a couple of rooms painted yellow. Yellow is not on my list of favorite colors, but when looking at all the colors of items going into the room, the yellow worked really well.
I love the color red, but decided to use it as an accent color, not a wall color.